So after sharing the Vegan Yellow Cake recipe a while ago, I wanted to share a vegan chocolate cake recipe… cause everything is better chocolate 🙂
This recipe is adapted from the ‘Better Homes and Garden’s, New Baking Book’ as well.
- 1 cup white unbleached flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour (ideally this should be a high gluten content or have about 2 tbsps vital wheat gluten added to make this a full cup. Otherwise the whole wheat flour makes the cake very crumbly and hard to stay together)
- 2 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt (I put in more… cause I like salt.. shh)
- 2 tbsp of flax seeds ground
- 1/3 to 1/2 cup cocoa powder (depending on how much chocolate you like)
- 1/3 oil (I use canola)
- 1 1/2 sugar (you can use less, but try with the full first and then cut back)
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 3/4 cup wet stuff (water, milk substitute, coffee or a combo of the three)
First mix dry ingredients (first 6).
Then mix oil, sugar and vanilla in another bigger bowl.
Next add about a half cup of liquid to the sugar/oil combination. Then alternate adding flour and liquid, mixing in each completely before adding the other until all the liquid and flour mixture is mixed in. Let sit for 10 minutes for the whole wheat flour to soak up liquid.
Now it needs to go into a greased and floured set of cake pans. A trick I learned from a Martha Stewart show was to put cocoa in the pan to dust over the oil instead of flour so there isn’t flour spots on the dark cake.
Bake at 375 for about 30 -35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Also can be made into cupcakes which bake for about 20 minutes.
Cool in pan for about 10 minutes and then pull it out to finish cooling on cooling rack.
This second batch I turned into cupcakes. I did a coffee and marmalade combo for the liquid… wow, good stuff.