Hey there! Welcome to week 3 of ‘Super Simple Suppers’ Check out the recipe’s page for lots more great options. The series this winter and spring is featuring minimalist cooking with simple vegan recipes.
Today we are making minestrone soup. Yum!
This is an amazing, warm, filling, healthy meal that can be made up in big batches for leftovers or even freezing. I have listed what I used, but the recipe is very flexible. Feel free to put in different, more, or less vegetables, or change the quantity to what you would prefer. This has grains, vegetables, 2 sources of protein, and makes a very balanced meal.
- 1 tsp crushed garlic
- 3 sticks celery
- 1 cup cabbage
- 2-3 carrots
- 1/2 cup chopped green Beans
- 1 cup chopped Seitan
- 1 cup Spinach
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 2 cans beans (I used pinto, but others would work good too)
- 1 cup corn (frozen)
- salt, pepper and basil to taste
- 1 can tomatoes (crushed or diced, large or small can)
- 1-3 cups water as needed to get the consistency you want
- 1-2 cups cooked macaroni or other pasta (get the whole grain kind)
Fry first 6 ingredients till soft, add the rest of the ingredients except macaroni and simmer for about 20 minutes to let the flavors blend. Add macaroni at the end and let cook for 5 more minutes.
Here are other minestrone recipes I found that I wanted to share:
- Allrecipes.com – Jamie’s Minestrone (substitute water for the chicken broth)
- About.com – Artusi’s Minestrone
- Food Networks Minestrone (substitute Seitan for the bacon and water or vegetable stock for the chicken stock)
Like this recipe? Enjoy this website? Please share it. Thanks!