Welcome to Loving Simple Living. Minimalist, simple living blog. Today we are looking at simple vegan eating. Made this simple vegan mixture because my husband isn’t very fond of spaghetti with sauce. Either way, it makes a nice change to the typical pasta night. Everything is better fried, especially veggies 🙂 This has a bunch of olive oil and, depending on your pan, you might need more. The fat in the oil balances out the carbs in the pasta and a big part of the dish is veggies. This isn’t a dish you can cut back on the oil with; you will find yourself hungry 2 hours after the meal if you do 🙂
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3/4 cups cut cabbage (I love cabbage)
- 1/2 cup peas (frozen)
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup spinach
- 1 tsp chopped garlic
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2-3 tbsps cut green olives
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 1/3 cup sliced mushrooms (best if fresh)
- 1/2 cup cut fresh green beans
- cooked spaghetti, whole grain is good, enough for 4 people (not sure how to measure spaghetti)
Heat oil to medium heat. Add veggies in the order they are listed. Cabbage needs the longest to cook and so on. Cook until all veggies are soft and starting to brown, then add cooked, drained, spaghetti and fry up for a few minutes so flavors mix nicely (add more olive oil if necessary so the spaghetti doesn’t stick).
I topped it with a bit of cayenne because I like it spicy 🙂
- Any veggie combination would work as long as you use veggies that cook well (i.e. not lettuce) carrots, peppers, celery, other greens, corn and more would all work fine. I just went with what was in my fridge.
- Other spices that would work would be chili powder for a more Mexican taste, curry powder or gara masala for a more Indian flavor, soy sauce or a sweet and sour sauce for a more Asian flavor.
Looking for more vegan, simple, cheap, meal ideas? Check out the recipe page. This is week 4 of our 20 week long Super Simple Suppers series.