July 30, 2012 in My Simple Living
Want to come wander through our minimalist apartment? We are pretty social people and would love to have you over, but it is a bit far to travel for most of you. This way is probably not too exciting but I get a lot of questions about what we actually do own. …so here is the nitty-gritty.
Our simple minimalist living – summer 2012
Let me take you on a tour of sorts.
First here is the living room
In the living room we have:
- 4 pictures on the wall my super amazing photographer hubby took. I would like to put up more pictures over the futon when I get some updated family pictures printed.
- Table and 4 chairs (chairs move around between the table, bar, and piano)
- Book basket
- Round decoration basket by the fireplace
- End Table
- Toy box in the corner (the blue thing. It has dress-up cloths, dolls and a few other misc toys)
- Piano – my new baby, love it!
- Hanging mirror on one wall
- Clock over the table
- Futon (folds down for a double bed for the kids at night. All their bedding is kept in a compartment underneath)
Moving to the kitchen
The kitchen doesn’t have much for being a kitchen, but it has a pretty big percentage of our stuff. ’Cause food is important
In the cupboards there is:
- #1 above stove has spices
- #2 upper left side has baking supplies, empty/leftover containers, vitamins and medicine, my super awesome blendtec blender, tea and coffee.
- #3 above fridge our party supplies – 6 piece set of china, fancy glasses, cloth napkins, candles and candle sticks, fancy set of silverware.
- #4 upper on right side has dishes (set of 8), glasses, waffle iron, fancy bread pan, toaster
On the bottom
- #5 oven drawer has pans – pizza, cake, muffin, mini cheese cake, and cooling racks
- #6 lower on left has pots and pans, and food stuff – potatoes, beans, rice, cans, cereal, chips crackers, etc. We don’t keep to much food in the house beyond what we need for a week between shopping trips.
- #7 lower on the right (sink) has trash can on one side, coffee maker on the other, and dish soap in the middle
- #8 lower on the right has mixing bowls, strainer, casserole dish and carrier, popcorn popper, ice cream maker (pretty important), cake stand, salad bowl, crock pot, and flour.
- There are 4 (little) drawers – silverware, foil/plastic wrap/etc and pens, dish towels and recipes, knives and bigger serving utensils and rolling pin and place mats.
The freezer also has a gallon of chocolate ice cream thanks to my husband
Next to the kitchen we have the the entry area with two closets
First closet is actually the furnace room… not supposed to put stuff in there but we slid in:
- Ironing board (hangs on the back of the door)
- Vacuum, broom and dust pan
- Kids helmets
- A tub of swimming and camping stuff
- They have games on the top shelf
- Box of books, sewing stuff, homeschool books, crafts, and misc school stuff on the second shelf
- Canvas box of toys for each of them on the third shelf (cars for Ian and Barbies for Lily)
- Balls, blocks and scooters on the bottom
In the hall we also have another closet (kind of a pantry size next to the bathroom).
The central-ness of this closet lets it double as a bathroom, laundry room, linen, homeschool, and cleaning closet. It is super shallow so it doesn’t hold much.
- Top shelf has cleaning products, laundry stuff and extra towels and extra sheet.
- Second shelf holds bathroom stuff, hair, make up etc and the shoe box that holds our extra socks (the ones that make it through the laundry without a mate).
- The third shelf is the kids and holds a little tub of treasures, Ian’s tools and block of wood, and their piggy banks and savings jars.
- The fourth shelf has a homeschool tub, coloring books, a box of Lily’s craft and treasure things, and a small box of Ian’s legos.
- Below is our reusable bags, back-packs and a crystal cookie jar for Lily’s hair and make-up stuff.
The bathroom really doesn’t hold much but here it is
- I had Bryon hang extra towel hooks so we can hang up all 4 of our towels
- I don’t like things in the shower so I collect them in the green bucket (shampoos etc)
- Under the sink there is extra TP, cotton balls, Q-tips, and a bucket with our first aid stuff (except medicines we keep in the kitchen out of reach)
- There is a candle on the sink I got from a friend from Germany
Okay, the last spot is the bedroom
Bedroom comes with two cute kids waiting for me to be done taking pictures so they can watch a movie
- On the wall there is a picture and a mirror.
- Furniture includes – bed, end table (which I broke yesterday…), two chairs, small book shelf, office chair
- Throw blanket (that I still need in the summer because we can’t agree on the AC settings…)
- Book shelf has kids weekly allowance money, my purse, my bible, kindle, and puzzles at the bottom
- Another book basket
My husband made a super cool bed frame for our bed that lets me store all the out of season cloths and our camping supplies (tent, and bedding) under the bed.
There are two closets in the bedroom
First closet is our office, it also holds our empty suitcases and Bryon’s photography stuff.
Second closet has all 4 of our clothes and a laundry basket. (we each have about 33ish things). On the top shelf I have my sewing machine and my sewing box, cooler, box of Christmas decorations, and some picture frames I want to get new pictures printed for.
We keep our old files and our memory tub and a few other things up in Bryon’s folks attic. I hate that we have to keep so much paperwork for our small businesses for so many years but we were audited once so we make sure to keep stuff
That’s what we got now. I don’t know how exciting it all looks after writing it out but hopefully it can answer a few questions.
(if you are reading RSS join us in the comments)
Thanks so much for coming by and reading! If you haven’t already please sign up to get new simple living tips by e-mail. Also, if you have enjoyed this post and this site, please help me get the word out by sharing on social media.
Sign up to get simple tips sent right to your inbox Subscribe