Photo Credit–Samaritan’s Purse 4-Star Charity on Charity Navigator
Just a short note for today. I am working on a great thanksgiving opportunity for next week and I had several random but compassion related stuff I wanted to share. First, I wanted to put a note up for how to pick a good charity.
- Love Charity Navigator.org. This is an amazing tool that offers a third party look at the organization and rates them. I feel much better about supporting a charity when it is rated well through their system.
- Positive Stories. I know the world is a terrible place, but when I go to charities websites or get their mailings I much prefer to help those that are featuring their positive difference, instead of working hard at tugging my emotional strings with terrible stories and pictures. I know the situation is bad. I want to help organizations that are focusing on the positive. Then I can get excited about helping, instead of guilty that I am not (or not helping enough).
- Lasting help. There is definitely need for disaster relief when terrible things happen, but I get really excited about helping with a positive and lasting change. Starting farming programs, digging wells, training locals with basic medical skills, and education. These kinds of programs are like investing, they will keep giving.
I know that these topics are not always popular on blogs, but I feel strongly about giving back and helping others. I would love feedback on my Tuesday-Simple Compassion feature. Have any suggestions or personal experiences that help ‘helping’ be real, tangible and practical in the simple life?
Two more things:
- Operation Christmas Child is collecting this week! You still have time to participate. I did up an article on it a few weeks ago.
- Compassion has sent out a bunch of bloggers who are doing an awesome job of sharing their experiences. Check them out at:
- A Holy Experience – Really want to read her book… maybe part of the December reading list… still thinking
- Baby Bangs
- Kelly’s Corner
- Boo Mama
- The Big Mama
- Jones Bones 5
Thanks to all you ladies! Love reading your posts!
Come back next week for a exciting Thanksgiving opportunity!
Thanks for reading,
P.S. Don’t forget to enter for the drawing, entries need to be in soon! Free stuff is the best 🙂