A photo taken by my hubby with his ‘Featuring You‘collection.
So last Monday morning I was reading about Leslie on Miss Minimalist’s blog and was thinking ‘She is SO cool!’. I head over there every Monday morning to read about how someone is using the minimalist ideas to better their life. It is a great start to the week. (I recommend it :))
Then I got to thinking, ‘Well yeah, that is where we are now. I am that simple living minimalist cool person too!’
Growing up it seems that we try too hard to fit into what we think the world thinks is ‘Cool’, but as we grow, we start to form our own opinions of what we think is cool. What we start to think is cool is what we wish we were/want to be.
Instead of a kid wanting others to think they are ‘cool’, as an adult I want to think I am ‘cool‘.
Being ‘Cool’ is living your dreams! Deciding what you think success and fun is and working toward it.
Most of the folks I hang out with probably think I am nuts. I have to have a blog and find like minded people online (and I love you all!), but as far as I am concerned (and my hubby is concerned), we are the coolest people we know. We are cool because:
- We own very little stuff and live in a small space
- We are creating content (on the blog and my husband with his photography)
- We are Christian and able to be active in our church
- We take amazing road trips far away for a long time (last summer 5 weeks all over western Canada and US)
- We home school and are actively involved in our kids education and what they are learning
- I am writing. I always dreamed of writing, but I am not that good at the technical stuff (you might have noticed). I am so glad I have chosen to write anyways because I am having so much fun. (feel free to point out any super embarrassing errors and I will get them fixed… and love you forever)
The other thing on our ‘cool bucket list’ is international travel. I have been loving reading about these cool people lately:
- Married With Luggage – couple traveling the world with just what they can fit in their backpacks. On their second year now. Traveling from Thailand to Northern Europe by land starting in April.
- Exile Lifestyle – guy that travels to a different country every 4 months (lets his readers vote on where), and writes tons of books. (and he has those super cool toe separating shoes that I think look so fun)
- Sean Ogle Location 180 – This was the featured blog yesterday
- I am wanting to check out Art of Backpacking because it looks really cool too.
I understand that everyone doesn’t see this as cool…. probably only a few, but that is the beauty in it. Everyone has different dreams and goals and everyone can be ‘cool’ if they can work toward them. Don’t worry about if other people will think it is cool. Live up to your own ‘cool expectations’!
Here are some other ideas I thought of:
- Growing your own food
- Making your own clothes
- Being good at a sport
- Playing an instrument
- Having a specific job
- Having a specific training or degree
- Building a house or something else
- Being considered an expert in a field
- Being super environmentally friendly
What do you think is cool? How cool are you?
Like this post? This blog community? Would you share it and help get the word out 🙂 Thanks!