Negative thoughts change a perfectly decent life in to one that sucks! Sometimes we can remove these negative thoughts from our heads but often it is hard to do.
Want to live the good life?
Maybe, instead of trying to remove the bad we need to be trying to add the good?
This is often talked about with thankful thinking. The more you focus on what you are thankful for the better you feel.
However, I think it goes way farther than thankful thinking. I think we can add good thoughts to counter any negative thought we have. Fill our lives up so full with positive thoughts there is no room for the negative ones anymore. That is the good life.
- Thankful Thinking works against thoughts that we don’t have everything we want. Things we wish we had might be economical, material, professional, relational and more. Being thankful can turn this around.
- Remembering accomplishments fights self-doubt. Focus on what you have gone for and done. Make a list if you need help remembering. It doesn’t really matter if what you tried failed, it matters that you tried for it. Everyone who tries things and succeeds can tell you about things that didn’t work. It is almost a pre-requisite. The accomplishment is in the trying and taking a risk.
- Focusing on who you are going to be. Setting a ‘personal mission statement’ or goals on the person you want to be fights against guilt and regret. As long as everything you can do to change the past is done, move onto the future and focus on the possibilities.
- Focusing on the most important things helps remove busy-ness. (the full post on this is here)
- Focusing on your good qualities including physical, relational, and your personality helps you be more positive about yourself. Ask a friend if you have trouble coming up with something positive. (For what it counts, I think you rock 🙂)
Replacing negative thoughts through the day with positive ones makes a big difference. Ever notice that some people always complain about the weather “too cold, too hot, too dry, wish it would stop raining… and more”? There is no need for that! Flip that around to the positive. There are even people who look at the news positively ‘So glad it wasn’t much worse, the police/firemen/whoever did such a good job’.
Do you find yourself being negative and having a suck-y life. Instead of becoming frustrated and trying to stop those thoughts, just replace them with good ones.
But this can go beyond thoughts too:
- Your schedule getting you down – add the good
- Your surroundings getting you down – add the good
- Your relationships getting you down – add the good
The thing is that good often doesn’t bring itself into your life. Typically fate and life collect the negative automatically. You need to create the good life. Bring in the good and there won’t be as much room for the bad. (or it won’t take as much of your focus)
So tell yourself you are awesome, do something hard, and treat yourself special today.
How are you going to add the good today? (if you are reading RSS join us in the comments)
Thanks so much for coming by and reading! If you haven’t already please sign up to get new simple living tips by e-mail. Also, if you have enjoyed this post and this site, please help me get the word out by sharing on social media.
Sign up to get simple tips sent right to your inbox Subscribe